Tuesday, January 3, 2012

“I can’t believe I do this for a living” claim professional brownie taster, Port-a-potty cleaner


San Diego, California - Scott Lind and Michael Crabtree have very different careers, yet both share a kindred sense of gratitude and accomplishment towards their occupations. Exploring what drives these two different men gives each of us hope to find meaning in our careers as well.

Lind, whose occupation involves quality-control testing at a Sara Lee bakery, spends his days tasting new recipes of the company’s famous brownies, cupcakes, cookies and other treats.

“Sometimes I wake up in the morning and don’t want to go to work, but then I remember that I taste brownies all day, and it’s hard for me to complain,” says Lind.

Crabtree, who maintains, cleans, and transports portable toilets, shares a similar sentiment. “Every day I think about how I am going to stare at people’s processed brownies, hot dogs and raisins, and I wonder how I got to where I am.”

Lind too ponders the choices in his life that blessed him with his dream job. Towards the end of high school he had poor grades and wasn’t going to graduate. He joined the Marines, but was dishonorably discharged for urinating on a superior’s tent while intoxicated.

“I ended up in San Diego, walking along the beach – broke – when I smelled someone’s brownies cooking from inside a wealthy home. I knocked on the door and the first thing I said was ‘it needs more nutmeg,’ totally joking. Turns out it was the head chef at the local Sara Lee bakery, and he got me the job of treat-taster. I’ve been loving my life ever since.”

Crabtree has a very different story. He attended UCSD to major in business and marketing. Graduating in four years, he got a job as a data processor at an upstart technology firm with a bright future.

“When the beeper industry failed, I had to get a job just to pay bills and get food on the table. I probably put out a hundred applications, and the one job a temp agency could find me was cleaning porta-potties. I planned to do it for a few days until I could get a real job, but nothing has ever transpired.”

Both men finish their stories with “I can’t believe I do this for a living.”

Truly inspiring stories from both men.

“Sometimes I am embarrassed to tell people what I do for a living,” says a modest Lind, “because I just know they are going to be jealous.”

“Whenever I am asked where I work, I lie” echoes Crabtree, clearly sharing the same sentiment.

“I always had big aspirations,” continues Crabtree, “and now I am the guy that dates and signs the last time a portable crapper was cleaned at a kid’s soccer tournament.”

Crabtree, whose education cost him upwards of $45,000, is sadly in debt and must work overtime cleaning and transporting poo while swatting flies, but keeps an inspirational, positive attitude: “Sometimes I wonder if I would rather die or go to another day of work, and I usually choose work.”

Lind, who makes $175,000 yearly to gorge on chocolate delicacies, is saving to buy his own theme park. “When I think about my favorite things, they are food, video games, and roller coasters. I hope to get paid for all three things some day.

Two different lives, two similar outcomes. Hard working men whose jobs are both entirely inconsequential to the good of society as a whole, but are getting paid to do what they love. It’s truly the American Dream.

No comments:

Post a Comment